The California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office (CCCCO), in partnership with the California Department of Education (CDE), is pleased to announce the K12 Strong Workforce Program (K12 SWP). Beginning in 2018-2019, Education Code §§ 88827 establishes the kindergarten through 12th grade component of the Strong Workforce Program appropriating $150,000,000 in annual ongoing career education funding to strengthen the pathways for students from secondary to post-secondary education.
K12 SWP intends to create, support, and/or expand high-quality career education programs at the K12 level that are aligned with the workforce development efforts occurring through the community college Strong Workforce Program and regional priorities.
Goal of K12 Strong Workforce Program:
The goal of the K12 Strong Workforce Program is to increase the levels of college and career readiness among students which will support their successful transition from secondary education to post-secondary education and, ultimately, to career.
Implementation of K12 Strong Workforce Program:
Eligible LEAs that can apply for funding are requested to participate in a collaborative process and form an application consisting of one or more of any combination of the following eligible applicants:
- School districts
- County offices of education
- Charter schools
- Regional occupational centers or programs operated by a joint powers authority, provided that the application has the written consent of each participating local educational agency
From October 31 through December 12, 2018, a series of Regional Consortium Engagement Meetings will begin the formal collaborative process for accessing K12 SWP funding and finding out next steps for applications. Many regions will offer multiple engagement meeting dates. To determine which regional consortium meeting your LEA representative should attend, please check the Regional List of Eligible LEAs. This list was co-developed with CDE databases, but if your LEA is not listed, please send an email to email@example.com.
Additional Resources to Stay Up to Date on K12 Strong Workforce
- Subscribe to statewide K12 SWP listserv to receive information by email
- Visit the K12 SWP timeline for important dates
- Review the Regional List of Eligible LEAs and attend a Regional Consortium Engagement Meeting
- Bookmark K12 SWP website as your official source of information for K12 SWP
- Access the latest co-branded CDE/CCCCO K12 SWP power point presentation
- Find out more about current Strong Workforce Program regional plans to review regional priorities
- Explore the Industry Sector Crosswalk for CDE and CCCCO