The following questions were gathered from Helpdesk requests over the past month. Please see our Archive for previous year's FAQs.
1. Is it ever appropriate for a LEA to use only part of their ADA for a grant application? For example, a k-8 district plans to develop a CTE Pathway for only middle school students in grades 7-8? Their total k-8 ADA is 500 but grades 7-8 is only 100.
No, Nova auto populates ADA for each agency based on CDE enrollment for 7-12 grades of that agency or agencies applying. The workplan, however, allows you to enter the number of students who will be served with K12SWP funding.
2. If the LEA is requesting more than program be funded, does there need to be a separate application for each program? I am assuming yes, but I wanted to confirm before I begin those applications.
Yes, a separate application for each program must be submitted.
3. I noticed that you posted a revised RFP from the original. What has changed?
4. Can a K-8 be considered a new applicant if they offer career exploration programs, or do they have to offer CTE courses as designated in CALPADS?
A K-8 applicant should offer CTE courses to be considered a new applicant.
1. Can an 7/8th instructor in who is not CTE credentialed teach a career exploration class?
No, to use K12 SWP funds the instructor must be CTE credentialed.
2. Can K12 SWP funds be used to fund Grade 7/8 career exploration courses?
Yes, funds may be used for career exploration for 7/8th grades.
3. Can K12 SWP funds be used to pay for student internships? I’m assuming the answer is no since this would be a student expense, activity, or direct service but I just want to make sure.
No, funds may not be used for student internships as this is considered a gifting of public funds.
4. I work for an independent charter school that has a partnership with a local community college to provide its elective courses, which are all dual-credit. The courses are taught be community college instructors at the charter school’s campus. This charter school would like to offer CTE pathways using a similar model. If the community college instructors were CTE certified, would this be an acceptable model and could we use K12 SWP grant funds to help pay for the costs of instruction?
Yes, as long as they are certified instructors. This is an ideal model!
1. If a school has an incomplete pathway (2 courses) and will be creating a real pathway with this grant, does that count as creating a new pathway?
Yes, it would be considered a new pathway if it is creating a sequence/program of study.
2. Does the High Quality CTE Evaluation have to have a minimum scores for the Lead LEA and the K12 partners?
No, the High Quality CTE evaluation is not scored, but is required as part of the application.
3. What is meant by “Include the leading metrics that will be requested in the progress reports.” (from the work plan template in RFA of K12 SWP grant app)
Leading metrics refers to the metrics stated in the legislation, found in Education Code 88827.
1. Is there a word count on the work plan? No word count is listed (like there is on the problem statement / objectives)
The word count cannot exceed 2500 characters
The Chancellors office is working to correct the error in NOVA. We will ensure the supporting documents section includes the required MOU statement.