The Governmental Relations division represents the Chancellor and the Board on state and federal policy and advocacy matters. The California Community Colleges Vision for Success, the Board of Governors Budget and Legislative Request, and prior Board positions guide the activities of the division. In general, the Governmental Relations division seeks feedback from the Consultation Council and the Board prior to taking positions on pending policy matters.
State Update 2020
The Legislature will reconvene for the second year of the 2019-20 Legislative Session on January 6, 2020. The Legislature will have until February 21, 2020, to introduce new legislative proposals. In addition, the Legislature will have the opportunity to act on pending two-year bills.
State Update 2019
OVERVIEWOctober 13th marked the end of the first year of the 2019-20 Legislative Session, with Governor Newsom taking final actions on bills approved by the Legislature in 2019. Of the 232 introduced bills related to community colleges, the Governor signed 85 into law. The Governor approved three of the four bills sponsored by the Board of Governors; 19 of 24 supported bills; and neither of the bills opposed by the Chancellor’s Office were enacted.
State Governmental Relations Resources
- California Assembly Higher Education Committee
- California Assembly Education Committee
- California Assembly Appropriations Committee
- California Senate Education Committee
- California Senate Appropriations Committee
- Official California Legislative Information
- Foundation for California Community Colleges
- Community College League of California
- Academic Senate for California Community Colleges
- Faculty Association of California Community Colleges
- California Legislative Analyst's Office
- The Research and Planning Group for California Colleges